Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? Part 1

Yup…you read that right.  So much happened this past weekend that I have decided to write it in 2 parts so enjoy the love.  I spent this last weekend doing something I love and have spent the last 4 years doing every November…The Susan G. Komen 3 Day Walk for the Cure.  I walked 60 miles the first year and the last 3 years, I have spent on the crew.  This year it was bittersweet since it is the last one to be in Arizona due to some restructuring issues the corporation is going through.  Even knowing this, most of our crew came back from last year and again our mighty Captain led the way and slapped us into shape to be the loudest, most obnoxious food services crew I am sure the 3 Day walkers have ever seen.

2013 Food Services Crew…the craziest group of weirdos I have ever met

One of the things I love about the 3 Day is that I have made life-long friends and actually met my BFFE there last year.  The hours for Food Services are long.  We are up at 3:30 am to serve breakfast to the crew and we finish dinner at 9 pm.  And it is actually 4 days for the crew because we have an all crew meeting on Thursday afternoon that we are required to attend.  Needless to say, I drove down on Thursday and met up with Bestie and we headed over to the meeting.  Bestie, BFFE and I had actually gotten a hotel room for the weekend that was near where the camp was gonna be so we headed over there after dinner.  We had a couple of extra people due to one of our crew and her 10-year-old daughter who was doing Youth Corp needing a place for the night before camping for the weekend.  After stuffing our gobs with giant rice krispie treats with caramel and frozen cheesecake, we went back to the hotel and we all started to get ready for bed.  All four of us girls were in various stages of undress (most of us in our undies) when the 10-year-old walked around the corner.  The look of shock (maybe some disgust as well) and embarrassment on her face as we were all standing around talking in our undies and she could see various bits and pieces was hysterical and we all burst into giggles as she quickly retreated to the other side of the wall.  Pretty sure she might need some therapy after that.  I mean who needs to see bits and pieces at her age?  Sorry M for the need for therapy for your daughter….

There are certain things that you should always disclose when you are sharing a hotel room or bed with someone.  I, for one, always make sure everyone knows that I snore.  Yup.  Snore.  Since there were 3 of us in the king bed that night, I told BFFE  and M that I snore (Bestie already was aware) and apologized for it.  We lay there in the bed, whispering and giggling like schoolgirls for a while.  M and her daughter actually were fighting loudly over the covers and who was gonna have them and BFFE and I could not stop laughing. After a bit and everyone had fallen asleep, I heard a new sound…a light snore was coming from Bestie on the other side of the bed.  Then M started mumbling in her sleep.  An even newer sound soon joined the cacophony that was occurring in our room and at first I could not place it.  It was a squeaking type of sound and at first I thought I was imaging it because I thought I was the only one awake at that point (damn insomnia).  The noise got increasingly louder until I realized that Bestie was grinding her teeth in her sleep.  Holy Hannah it was loud.  All of a sudden, BFFE says to me “What the hell is that?” and I about jumped out of my skin because I thought I was the only one awake.  A small scream of terror and a little bit of pee escaped me.  We started giggling and then we could not stop.  Pretty sure I might have snorted as well.  In the midst of our high school laughter fit, M starts talking in her sleep loudly and her daughter mumbled something in return.  We start laughing even harder.  I almost wet the bed.  Moral of the story:  If you do something like snore, talk in your sleep or grind your teeth and are sharing a hotel room with friends…warn them!  I am pretty sure I would have come prepared with ear plugs.  Oh…and I won’t even get started on the gassy issues everyone seemed to have….

BFFE and me at 4 am…can I get a Whoop Whoop?

Since we serve food so early in the morning, we were determined to be alive awake and enthusiastic.  Not the easiest thing in the world to do at 4 am.  BFFE and I managed to be serving hot food on the food line complete with dance music blaring from my phone to wake everyone up.  Somehow, we decided when someone said they wanted a little bit of everything on the hot line, we would call it a “special” and give them a big “WHOOP WHOOP” with BFFE saying “I loves me a special” SUPER loud.  Now imagine this at 4 am after walking 20 plus miles the day before and sleeping in a tent all night and getting ready to walk 20 more miles…yup…totally obnoxious.  And all this without coffee.  The WHOOP WHOOP could be heard I am sure for miles around at that time of morning.  BFFE and I actually Whoop Whooped so much that we were hoarse by the end of the weekend.  We actually had walkers doing it to us when they walked up to the line by the last morning.  I am sure you could not find a more cheerful crew at all times of the day since I am sure it was from delirium and lack of sleep.  The catering company we worked with told us we were obnoxious and they loved it.  One of them, the Aussie, even got their revenge on BFFE and me…but I shall save that story for next time.  I would hate to overload you with our obnoxiousness…

Stay tuned…more on me dancing the Cupid Shuffle in front of over 700 people, Aussie style revenge, photo booth pictures, and even more Whoop Whoops to come….plus the reasons why I do this every year.

Oh yeah…I didn’t die today.  I did become obnoxious and loud at 4 am and learned some habits my crew has when sleeping but I didn’t die.  I am Fat Girl with a WHOOP WHOOP running.  The experiment continues…

Leave a Reply